BEDROCK BELIEFS lesson four readings

UPDATE: days complete

Day 16: Isaiah 53:1-6
Who has believed what they heard from us?
And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
...
But he was wounded for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities v 1, 5a

I tend to divide God into at least two handy categories. One category is God-the-Ruler. He is the sovereign strong one, the One who will not countenance sin. The other category is God-the-Redeemer. He is the humble Savior, who gives himself for his people. Truth is, though, that God is Ruler-Redeemer. He is God of the strong arm and God wounded for our transgressions.
Day 17: Isaiah 53:7-12
...and as for his generation, who considered
that he was cut off out of the land of the living,
stricken for the transgression of my people?
...
when his soul makes an offering for sin,
he shall see his offspring...
v 8b, 10b

We are the legacy of a sacrifice. There is weight to this truth that escapes me. Not that the fact of the weight (glory) escapes me, but the experience of it. there are moments when the experience is overwhelming and response overflows in emotion. But most of the time it is a quiet, nearly hidden act of dumbstruck-ness. Sometimes, I hide it so well that I forget, yet the Spirit in my heart does not forget.
Day 18: Colossians 1:18-23
"...reconciled in his body of flesh..." v 22

incarnation
ecclesia
this brand new thing,
intertwined.
neither without the other
the Divine Invader reconciles
Yahweh, insiders, outsiders.
Amazing!
Day 19: Romans 8:1-11
"...God has done what the law weakened by the flesh could not do" v 3a

weak flesh tries
to no avail
and
only brokenness and inability
remain.
trust is
--has always been--
the only answer.
God doing completely
what we cannot do at all.

Lord, you are fully able and I am not. Too often I trust my inability rather than your complete ability. Thank you for grace that cleanses.
Day 20: 1 Corinthians 15:51-58
"...and we shall be changed." v 52c
There is brokenness into which I have run headlong. Even in this there is hope, for God will accomplish his work.

My heart hurts when I willfully put myself in the way. Here I am broken, less broken than before, but still broken. Here I learn righteousness, yearning, reaching for that day when I will be righteousness in him.

Tag(s):

See CC License


“Unless otherwise noted Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.” http://www.esv.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment