Show Your Work!

 One of the most difficult things for me is citation support for what I know through experience. I've been in Christian Higher Education (Institutional Research) for sixteen years and there are things I know for which I've no citations. When I speak of these things as an IR professional, a list of citations is not normally required. When I write of these things in my dissertation, every claim must have a citation.

This reminds me of math class in my pre-college days. The teacher required that we show our work, even for things we could do in our heads.  The lesson? Declared evidence provides support and shows one as part of the ongoing conversation. Neither math nor educational studies is a monologue, after all.

Now if I could only remember when I'm writing.

---
Twitter
Facebook
(C) Laura Springer
Creative Commons License
Musings of a peripatetic wannabe-sage by Laura Springer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License..

No comments:

Post a Comment