1YR BIBLE QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION

1. Why do you want to read the Bible in 2006?
Because I am in seminary and teach in the college ministry I spend lots of
time in the bible, but this time has ulterior motives--homework or
curriculum. I spend very little time listening. I also tend to concentrate on a few areas--what I'm learning or teaching--and this will get me out of that box.
2. Do you think that reading the Bible in 2006 will grow your relationship with God? With Jesus? With the Holy Spirit? In what ways?

I do. But some of the growth will depend on my attitude. If I'm
mailling it in--checking the reading off my todo list--then it probably
won't. I'm hoping that interacting with others will help keep such things
at bay.

During the past semester I have spent quite a bit of time thinking about what God is trying to say in the bible as a whole. I need to develop my ears and learn to listen to his voice in the word. I need to see Jesus in the stories and poems and laws. I need to see the Spirit move, even when he is not mentioned or recognized.


3. When do you plan to read the Bible each day in 2006? In the mornings? Lunch break? Evenings? Do you plan to set up a regular time each day to read the Bible for 15 minutes?
I plan to read first thing in the morning in one sitting.

4. Will you pray before and after reading the Bible each day in 2006? Will you ask God to clear your mind of preconceptions that you might be bringing to the Bible and allow the Bible’s Words and teachings to transform your heart and mind?
Yup.

5. Do you think that you will potentially change your behavior in 2006 based on the daily Bible readings? Why or why not? Will you be open to changing your behavior if you learn something in the Bible that is different from how you are living your life today?
I would think so.

6. Do you expect to learn more about God and his character and his story as you read the Bible in 2006?
Yes, but I think the biggest part of the learning will come from interacting with others and getting a glimpse of their perspectives.

7. Will you discuss your daily Bible readings with others in 2006? Is there a friend or pastor or family member that you can discuss the Bible with?
I teach the collegians at TFB, so they'll get many earfuls. I also attend seminary, work at a Christian college, have a Christian roommate, and have Christian blogging buddies, so there should be many opportunities.

8. Are you looking forward to reading the Bible in 2006? Why?
I am looking forward to it, but also am hesitant. Because I teach twice a week, work full-time, and will be starting a Th.M., I'm do fear that I have bit off more than I can chew. Of course, remembering that this is about 15 minutes per day, it should not be a problem--if it is I probably have no good excuse.

9. Are you ready to start a new daily habit in 2006, beginning this Sunday, January 1st by reading from the Bible each day for 15 minutes?
I am--at least as far as I know.

10. Do you believe that the Bible is God’s Holy Word?
Most assuredly! (and inerrant, infallible, inspired, and a host of other things that slip the mind.)

11. Do you believe that the Bible can equip you for righteous living?
Yes.

12. Do you agree with Paul’s teaching about the Bible in 2 Timothy 3:16-17? “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do.”
Yes (see #10).

Tag(s):

No comments:

Post a Comment