OYB: JAN 15

Genesis 31:17-32:12 ~ Matthew 10:24-11:6 ~ Psalm 13:1-6 ~ Proverbs 3:16-18

Genesis 32:9-12
And Jacob said, "O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, O LORD who said to me, 'Return to your country and to your kindred, that I may do you good,' I am not worthy of the least of all the deeds of steadfast love and all the faithfulness that you have shown to your servant, for with only my staff I crossed this Jordan, and now I have become two camps. Please deliver me from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau, for I fear him, that he may come and attack me, the mothers with the children. But you said, 'I will surely do you good, and make your offspring as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.'"
It is a strange thing. At this point it does not seem that Jacob has a "personal relationship" with Yahweh, yet he trusts the covenant and seeks God within that context. He knows that he is a recipient of God's steadfast love and that he is not worthy of it. As a 20th/21st century western Christian who holds to a mostly "point in time" view of coming to faith, this is an odd thing.
Psalm 13:5-6
But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.
God's steadfast love is the foundation on which our trust rests. It is God's decision to be for us, not our decision to be for him. Both decisions are important, but God's decision is primary and critical. So, what does this do to the punctiliar view of salvation? How does the process notion fit with the point in time notion?

OYB Blog: Jan 15

Tag(s):

“Unless otherwise noted Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.” http://www.esv.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment