NOT TAKING SIDES

stuff cross celtic at forest lawn 2 pen


I have noticed a rather disturbing trend over the last few months. When I mention to someone at Biola/Talbot that my Th.M. thesis is on emerging church ecclesiology, the person I'm speaking with asks whether I am for or against. Honestly, I don't know how to answer that question other than to say, "Mixed," and then hastily add that I am studying this topic because the emerging church has much to teach us about being church.

As a conservative evangelical, I know where they are coming from. Yet, I think that is the wrong question. A better question, and one I wish people at Biola/Talbot would ask, is why I think emerging church ecclesiology is worthy of investigation. That is a question I love to answer--and do so, even when they do not ask it.

As to the first question, I refuse to take sides.
After all, as followers of Jesus, are we not on the same side?


And there is salvation in no one else,
for there is no other name
under heaven
given among men
by which we must be saved.
Acts 4:12


Tag(s):

See CC License


“Unless otherwise noted Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.” http://www.esv.org/

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:53 PM

    Laura, I hope you can stick to your "mixed" position.

    It seems the "The Truth War" has been declared. So I guess you will be taking more critical fire in the coming months.

    How long will the people of God continue to tear one another apart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can stick with it as well.

    One thing I left out of the post was the usual response to my answer. Most of them respond positively or, at least, with an openness to hearing another position.

    One of my greatest hopes is that this research will shed light rather than heat, and will encourage others to open conversation with Christians with whom they disagree. In my small way, I hope to reduce a bit of the "war."

    ReplyDelete