CHURCH vs. NOT-CHURCH
I contend that Biola is not a church. It is populated by persons who are members of the church, but this particular gathering is not church. Biola is an arm of the church. In fact, if a believer were to consider Biola to be his or her church, that believer would be incorrect.
Question: By what biblical/theological criteria am I able to make this claim?
- These criteria would seem to be the same by which one might distinguish a house church from a small group that meets in a house.
- Biola and small groups have missions that are subordinate to the church's mission.
- Know the Story-Be the People-Expand the Kingdom may provide insight.
- The New Testament images of the church should provide insight.
- Was Paul's traveling mission team a church? Why or why not? (see post on local church)
Tag(s): ecclesiology THEOLOGY
See CC License