LECTIO DIVINA--getting the Word in

his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night
Psalm 1

A couple of weeks ago, I was encouraged by some reading to restart a daily practice of Lectio Divina (see also). The practice has been going well and I have begun to notice some fruit--though such things take time to appear (months/years).

For those who may be unfamiliar with Lectio Divina (or for those curious about my particular take), here is my normal practice (which I've adapted from the more traditional method described at Valyermo).

Lectio: I slowly read the passage, looking for clues to meaning and intent. Sometimes, this is more devotional and other times it is more intellectual.

Meditatio: I think through the passage, looking for God's intent.

Oratio: I pray whatever has come to mind in lectio and meditatio. This usually takes the form of confession, though sometimes request.

Contemplatio: I sit in silence, allowing the text and prayer to rest in my mind. [Hint: I find it helpful to listen intently to my environment; this restrains the mind from its normal wandering.]

---
Write: Immediately after the contemplatio, I write a splat poem. During the contemplatio, the first line usually comes to mind. The rest of the poem usually just happens. I find these poems help me process the passage and remember more accurately its message.

Tag(s):

See CC License


“Unless otherwise noted Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.” http://www.esv.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment