EXTRAVAGANT KINDNESS

Reflections on TFB's August 10, 2008 Sunday sermon.

Matthew 9:9-13

"Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."
Matthew 9:13

What shall I do with you, O Ephraim?
What shall I do with you, O Judah?
Your love is like a morning cloud,
like the dew that goes early away.
Therefore I have hewn them by the prophets;
I have slain them by the words of my mouth,
and my judgment goes forth as the light.
For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice,
the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.

But like Adam they transgressed the covenant;
there they dealt faithlessly with me.
Hosea 6:4-7
God's extravagant kindness,
so clear when I am aware,
so muddled when I see only myself and duty.

God's heart to our hearts,
his desire for us,
for our company.

Un-needing,
his calling his unworthy ones,
makes us worthy.

Tag(s):

See CC License


Unless otherwise noted Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. http://www.esv.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment