FAITH AS KNOWING

Late last week, after months of seeing a post on Kierkegaard be the top draw at witwaw, I began wading in the Kierkegaardian pool. I started this venture with Gardiner's A Very Short Introduction (which I recommend); this first step will be completed on the ride home tonight and, after a one day glance through some relevant entries [1] in a philosophy dictionary, I will dip--or rather, plunge--into Philosophical Fragments, followed by Concluding Unscientific Postscript.

That being said, I move onto the point of this particular post--a question raised as I read Gardiner: Might faith--meaning trust--be a means of knowing? Hebrews 11:1 seems to point in this direction. On the other hand, a general emphasis--and maybe dedication to--empirical evidence and rational justification makes such a notion difficult to accept. Nonetheless, the notion rings true.

[1] Hume, Hegel, Descartes, Existentialism, Kant, Sartre, Feuerbach, and maybe more

Tag(s):

No comments:

Post a Comment