- Why does Paul move from all receiving measures of grace in 4:7 to a select number in 4:11?
- What is the nature of the gifted grace in 4:7? Does it enhance inherent skill? Is it a new skill from God? Else?
- How are the APEPT* put in position? Does Christ appoint them? Do they declare themselves? Does the church appoint them? Else?
- Are the APEPT discussed individually or corporately? Should the modifying phrases in 4:12-14 be individually linked or corporately applied?
- Are the three participial phrases in 4:12 parallel?
- What/Who do these phrases modify?
- Who is responsible for the building up of the Body of Christ? Which verses in this section support this?
- What is the function of 4:13-14 in this sentence (4:11-16 is one sentence)? Do they function specifically, describing 4:11-12? Or are they instructional/imperative for all believers? Else?
- What is the nature of "faith" and "knowledge" in 4:13b and how do they relate to unity?
- Why does Paul use aner (male human) in 4:13c rather than anthropos (human)?
- Does 4:13 contain three aspects of one goal or three goals? What difference does this make to the interpretation?
*APEPT: apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers (4:11)
Tag(s): ephesians new testament