Having three Italian sausages and a bag of homegrown bell peppers, I ransacked the cupboards and threw this together. 'Twas good, but could have used some onions.
- 1 bag Il Fornaio mixed beans and barley
- 1 t Cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 t Sage
- 1/4 t Cinnamon
- 1/2 t Garlic powder
- 4 Bell peppers, cut in strips
- 3 Hot Italian sausages
- 1 T coconut oil
- Soak bean and barley mix by covering with water, bringing to boil for 3 minutes, and then soak for 2 hours. Drain liquid and rinse thoroughly.
- Cook beans and barley until just tender.
- Brown sausages large pot and remove from pot.
- Add sliced bell pepper to pot and saute, adding a bit of water to deglaze the pot.
- Add all spices and herbs to pot and stir into peppers. (Take care not to burn this as it makes a most noxious smoke...which I discovered most unfortunately.)
- Slice sausages into one inch lengths and return to pot.
- Allow sausages and peppers to marry a bit.
- Add bean and barley mixture to the pot and simmer until all ingredients combine.
- Season to taste.
Twitter - Facebook