PSALM 119 MEDITATION: WEEK THIRTEEN Oh how I love your law!




vv. 97-104


WEEK: I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X XI XII

September 7: Verse 104--"Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way." Once you deeply taste truth, falsehood is simply abhorrent. Well, we tasted a bucket load of truth last night. It took about 65 minutes to read through the entire book of Revelation--a lot like drinking from a fire hose. Three of the students translated the book into pictures (they may show up later). The cool thing is that most of the students 'got it.' The honey tasting was combined with Words That You Say, by Something Like Silas. For myself, I do not long for God's Word nearly as deeply as the psalmist expresses... though a change is afoot. It will be interesting as tfbcollege travels through Revelation together as I travel through Psalm 119 on my own.

September 6: Verse 103--"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" This notion of God's commands being sweet is foreign to my natural thinking. Tonight at the college gathering, we will be investigating the notion by tasting honey then relating it to the Word. Afterwards we will be reading through the entire book of Revelation. We'll see...

September 5: Verses ALL--Close relationship between the Word and life. As I read this psalm, I am constantly impressed with how much Word and life are intertwined. I don't think this is how my life is. I'm not sure of the how of it, but I think this shall be my intention from now on.

September 4: Verse 102--"I have not departed from your laws, for you yourself have taught me." Here the psalmist seels to say that God's personal teaching keeps him on track.

September 3: Verse 101--"I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word." Holding back from sin is not equal to obedience, but is the preparation for obedience. Obedience, then, is not an absence of evil, but a presence of good.

September 2: Verse 98-100--"Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts." The psalmist is comparing himself to his enemies, his teachers, and his elders. At first this seems nervy, but he explains himself: he is wiser, has more insight, and has more understanding because of God's commands, statutes, and precepts.

September 1: Verse ALL--Two notions caught my eye and led to the pic of the honeycomb. First, and rather obvious, is verse 103, where the psalmist compares God's words to the sweetness of honey. Second, is verse 97, where the psalmist declares his love for God's law. I'm not sure how my response to Scripture compares with the psalmist's.


All verses are quoted from the ESV.

No comments:

Post a Comment