PSALM 119 MEDITATION: WEEK EIGHTEEN Righteous are you, O LORD



Verses 137-144

WEEK: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17



October 12: Verses 143-144--"Trouble and anguish have found me out, but your commandments are my delight. Your testimonies are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live." I'm thinking there might be a contrasting parallelism here, as in: 'trouble and anguish' versus 'your testimonies are righteous forever'. If so, how to the two second halves relate? Probably parallel; the other side of delighting in God's commands is receiving life from him. Maybe?

October 11: Verse 141--"I am small and despised, yet I do not forget your precepts." This one raised my curiosity. How are these two things related? Somehow being small and despised is contrasted with not forgetting God's precepts. Maybe he is contrasting himself (perceived as weak) with his enemies (perceived as strong); while they are perceived as strong, yet they are weak and forget God's precepts. Not sure...

October 10: Verses 142a, 144a--"Your righteousness is righteous forever... Your testimonies are righteous forever..." Not much comment here except to say how much we need to recognize this when things are going well, because when the crap hits the fan, we'll tend to forget that he and his word are righteous forever--even when we just don't see it.

October 9: Verse 140--"Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it." At first I took this as cause and effect: because your promise is well tried, I love it. After a bit of pondering, I am now wondering if it is not both/and--a conversation of sorts--from God's side the promise is well tried and from my side I love it.

October 8: Verse 139--"My zeal consumes me, because my foes forget your words." How do we do this without becoming religious wackos. Now, we may well be perceived as such, but is there a way to be consumed with zeal without BEING a wacko. There may not be a way, so how willing are we to be nuts for God's ways?

October 7: Verses 137-138--"Righteous are you, O LORD, and right are your rules. You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness and in all faithfulness." (emphasis mine). So, this is what I'm getting: even when we don't like what God has to say, his way is right and he really means it. This also means that God will absolutely stand by what he says; he can be trusted. Our--my--only logical response is trust in belief and in action.

October 6: Verses ALL--Words that came to mind as I read this: zealous, jealous, warrior.

All verses are quoted from the ESV.

No comments:

Post a Comment