DUTY AND PASSION--lectio two

(part of the Duty, Apathy, and Passion series)

the readings

"Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them..."
"And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them..."
the thinking
Cognition is not the key, BUT it is present in both cases and acts as a necessary precurser to "doing," for one cannot do what one does not know.
The teaching of Jesus: This ties to the Great Commission in Matt 28:16-20, teaching them to observe all Jesus commanded.
"Everyone" is both broad and narrow.
the writing
I love cognition. There, I said it. Too easily I fall into the trap, thinking mere knowledge to be sufficient. It is not. It is necessary, but it is not sufficient. I ought to pant after the knowledge of God. But even more, I ought to pant after doing the Father's will. This is a matter of desire and decision. If I truly love and trust God, then that trust is expressed by knowing his commands and doing them. This is how one properly loves a sovereign. Trust is expressed similarly. If I trust God, then I trust that his ways are actually best.

Why then, since I love and trust God, do I continue loving and trusting other things?


lectio one

Tag(s):

See CC License


“Unless otherwise noted Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.” http://www.esv.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment