DUTY, APATHY, AND PASSION--lectio two

20-minute lectio divina
the readings
he was jealous with my jealousy among them, so that I did not consume the people of Israel in my jealousy

Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.
the thinking
  • This is counter-cultural to individualism (a la Judges 17:6 and 21:25, the ethos of our age).
  • I ask, do I have the right?
  • Is this different now that we have the Spirit?
  • If so, is that difference more or less "explosive" or something else?
  • What does it look like to abhor evil?
  • What is the "acceptable equivalent" of piercing through their bellies?
  • This looks a lot like shock and awe: is this acceptable now?
  • Should we--I--be explosive?
the writing
"Stand clear. The doors are closing."

These two sentences fill my sonic space Monday through Friday as I take the train to work. Funny how things gain new meaning when you listen with different ears. Let me explain.

The first sentence, "Stand clear," is a simple command. The voice makes no apology. No niceties are attached: no "please" before and no "thank you" after. The voice merely commands.

This command is set in the context of a factual statement: "The doors are closing." There are consequences if one disobeys the command: one gets slightly mushed by the door, blocks them from closing, prevents the train from moving, and perturbs one's fellows.

Maybe stating God's truth is similar: facts and consequences.
[NOTE: by facts, I do not refer merely to God's justice, but also to God's grace.]

lectio one

Tag(s):

See CC License


“Unless otherwise noted Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.” http://www.esv.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment