BIT GATHERING--monkey bars


Today I flew on the monkey bars with Shelly Cunningham, looking forward and dreaming a bit about the doctoral program I hope to enter next year. I am heartened, excited, a bit confused, and ready to do some serious pondering as I prepare my application.

So, to remind myself and maybe inspire others:

From May 27, 2006, reflecting on the ThM program I had just started:

I intend to discover and master the monkey bars.
There are truths that are steadfast and immovable. While we may not know them completely, yet we can know them with certainty--with the certainty of faith. I intend to work hard to discover these truths and learn them well. This is one part of my mastery.
I intend to learn how to dance.
There is skill in thinking theologically, trusting the steadfast and immovable truths and having the skill and passion to play and create. These truths have implications and applications that, like dancing on the monkey bars, are intimately related to that which is steadfast and also intimately related to the theologian and his/her community. I intend to master these truths, master the skills, and then dance.
but the Word of God is not bound, from May 26, 2006
desperate situation.
desperate cry--
covered,
redeemed
by faith.
the body trapped.
the soul alone.
not alone,
the soul free,
connected,
riding the Word
to distant reaches.

my trapped-ness--
internal,
external--
does not,
cannot
bind this free, powerful Word.

From July 20, 2005, reflecting on Psalm 119:41-48
Does following God's precepts really make a wide place to walk in? I have this theory called Monkey Bar. When I was in elementary school, we had monkey bars on the play yard. They consist of some sort of stable metal framework, firmly set in the ground. The monkey bars themselves are very stable--rigid even. Children playing on the monkey bars are an entirely different story. Those with the skill are able to fly around on the monkey bars in absolute freedom. The rigidity of the monkey bars makes this freedom possible. I think obedience might be like that.
Tag(s):

See CC License


“Unless otherwise noted Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.” http://www.esv.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment