Reflections on TFB's May 25, 2008 Sunday sermon.
15 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. 17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, 19addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, 20 giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21 submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.
- "then" connects the walk in wisdom to the walk in light (7-14).
- YLT has "See exactly," while NRSV has "Be careful" and ESV has "Look carefully."
- "wisdom" is righteously applied knowledge.
- Righteous application requires a relationship of respect (Pr 1:7) and love (Mt 22:37) with God.
- "Knowledge" requires that we know God's ways and truth (2 Tim 3:16-17).
- "Applied" requires that we do, not merely hear, his truth (Jas 1:22-25).
Tag(s): sermon wisdom responsibility
See CC License
Unless otherwise noted Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. http://www.esv.org/