DEVOTIONAL ON PS23

I prepared this as a just-in-case for a Sunday Collegium at TFB, but Danny came thru with an excellent devotional, so I thought I'd post mine here.


Presence Of God

Oh God, who gives us all we need for life, who invites us in and makes us feel at home, come teach us the depth of your love and justice.

Word Of God: Psalm 23 NLT

The LORD is my shepherd; I have everything I need.

He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.

He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.

Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.

You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil.

My cup overflows with blessings.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life,

and I will live in the house of the LORD forever.

Devotion

In Psalm 23, the writer uses two pictures to describe God. The first picture is a shepherd who cares for the sheep, leading, feeding, and protecting. The second picture is a Bedouin host, who not only makes his guests feel comfortable, but also supplies their needs and makes them a part of his family.

This week in one of my readings for school, I came across a question that I’m not sure I know how to answer: do I really trust that God likes me? Now, I know God loves me—that’s his job; but do I know that God likes me? Do I know that God cares for me, protects me, welcomes me, and makes me his family simply because he wants to? Sometimes I know this; other times I don’t.

What makes the difference? I think it’s how much I look at me versus how much I look at God. How about you? Do you trust that God likes you?

Conversation

Give us your power and calm us through your hesed.

Thank you for using our brokenness.

Help us to come to you with our problems now.

Benediction

If walking with God is actually two friends on a stroll, how is life supposed to look?

No comments:

Post a Comment