Principles, not Expediency


For decades I have cast my local, state, and federal votes based on a set of principles worked out in my twenties and revisited each year for the past three decades. For me these hold priority over party and even country.

1. Small government is to be preferred over large.
2. Local government is to be preferred over state, and state over federal.
3. Conservative constitutionalism is best for America.
4. Abortion and euthanasia are always homicide and nearly always unjustifiable.

I select candidates and support laws/propositions that align with these principles, and I will continue to do so. I hold #4 as a litmus test with veto power.

How this played out in 2016. In 2016, Trump was the only candidate on the November ballot who came close to aligning with these principles. Laws and orders signed and judges appointed give evidence that my choice was the best possible one given the available choices. Further, since character is indeed exposed by actions, Trump's consistency in keeping the promises he made during the campaign speaks to his character.

I speak for myself alone, when I say that my votes are principled, not expedient. I am certain there are other Christians like me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment