Writing Poetry with a Tangent Matrix

A while ago, I started using the tangent matrix concept to write the poems for this blog.  I am finding the practice creatively effective (in a monkeybar sort of way), so I thought I'd pass along the process.

Below is the tangent matrix for Disciple-Making as Love.  The column labels were determined in advance of hearing the sermon and resulted from a devotional lectio on chapter 15 (Loving Yourself) in Practicing the Presence of People by Mason.  The row labels are sparse notes from a sermon preached by Paul R. Gupta at Torrance First Baptist on Sunday, April 11.

Using my Moleskine, I wrote the sparse notes in the row header and forced ideas into the cells as the sermon was being preached.  Since I limit most of my posts to 25 words, I counted the words in each row (this time, not counting the row title) as I went along.  Here is the matrix.






.

self-loveother-loveGod-love
.
3rd world movementequippedactivecentered
.
god works in our faithfulnessstandingwalkingmoved
.
remain connectedhe loves me, he likes methrough mehis love
.
remain in the Wordfeeding my souloverflowinghis message
.
remain in his lovestaying opengivingreceiving

Under each matrixed poem, I list the Informants (row and column headings) used to create the poem.  

See the finished product: Disciple-Making as Love.


What tools do you use to write?

 Practicing the Presence of People: How We Learn to Love

---
Twitter - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment